Thursday, September 17, 2015

The point of this Questions blog

A friend of mine in college would often get into religious debates.  After a while, I came to the conclusion that most of these debates were like World War I trench warfare.  The opponents would be in their trenches, and then they'd go over the top and there would be lots of noise and maybe a few points would be scored, but in the end they'd pretty much go back to where they had started.  What I liked to do was to stand on the side and occasionally ask some out of the blue question that was a different take on the matter.  I guess you could say - sticking with the war metaphor - I prefer guerrilla style in debating to trench warfare.

So that's the point of this blog.  I like to think that I see things from an unusual angle, or instead of staying with the soundbite solution to a complex problem I actually take a step or two deeper into the matter to see what would actually happen.  In the months ahead - especially with the noise of the 2016 campaign - I hope to write up a few of these odd views of complex issues.  Maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll get a few of you to see things ... more my way.  If not, well, it's the internet, you can disagree with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment